THE PROMISE

Part 2 by Judi


I've loved you forever in lifetimes before
And I promise you never will you hurt any more
I give you my word, I give you my heart
This is a battle we've won
And with this vow, forever has now begun


Just close your eyes each loving day
And know this feeling won't go away
Til the day my life is through
This I promise you

                   - Richard Marxx

Luka awoke to the sound of beeping.  Damn, he thought as he rolled to the side of the bed.  Rummaging through the pile of clothes on the floor, he found his pager and turned it off.  Why the hell are they paging me now, he thought.  Placing it  on the nightstand, he then turned his attention back to the beauty lying next to him.  "Mmmmm," she moaned as he put his arms around her and pulled her back to his chest.  She was amazing.  She gave him pleasure without asking for anything.  He smiled at the thought of her screaming out his name at the height of their lovemaking.  I could get used to that, he thought.  He felt himself getting aroused and was not going to let it go to waste.  He started kissing her back and neck.  He moved one hand down, touching every inch of her, while the other stayed on her breasts. When he reached between her legs, she spread them for him, inviting him to touch her.

Isabelle opened her eyes when she felt Luka slip two finger inside her.  "Oh my God," escaped her lips as she turned over on to her back.  He bent down to kiss her breasts, first the left, then the right, suckling each nipple tenderly.  He continued kissing her all over, finally getting to the spot where his fingers were.  He removed them, gently spreading her legs further apart.  When he started teasing her with his tongue, she grabbed hold of his head and told him not to stop.  Of course, he obliged.  When she started to quiver, Luka quickly stopped

"Oh no, not yet," he said to her smiling.  "I have something else in mind."

"PLEASE Luka, don't stop," she begged him.

"Don't worry, my love," he whispered.  "I''ve only just begun."

Positioning himself on top of her, he wrapped her legs around his waist and lowered himself inside of her.  She moaned "God, Yes!"  He put his arms around her back, holding onto her shoulders, as he thrust himself completely inside of her.  She moaned with delight as they began moving in unison.  

When he was certain she was at the point of no return, he pulled her up, her breasts brushing up against his chest.  As he thrust his pulsing cock into her, Isabelle screamed out "OH LUKA!" and began trembling uncontrollably. Luka followed, with a thunderous burst, crying out her name in return.

Afterwards, they quietly lay in each other's arms, each knowing how the other felt without any words being spoken.

**********

Luka was just about to drift off to sleep when the pager went off again. "Shit."  He slipped his arm out from under Isabelle, trying not to disturb her, and sat up.  What the fuck do they want, he thought, reaching for the phone and dialing the ER.  "Yeah, this is Kovac."  He was pissed.  "Kerry...."  She cut him off by asking him to work a double shift. Another
attending called off sick and he needed to come in this afternoon to cover. "Can't you find someone else?"  She told him that he was actually the last on the list this time around, but he didn't believe her.  "All right, all right."  He looked at the clock.  It was noon.  "I'll be in at 3."  He slammed the phone down, cursing in Croatian.

Luka sat there for a moment, running his hand through his hair.  He could not believe this was happening.  Just when things were going so right between them.  Here, in this bed with him, was a woman who cared for him, maybe even loved him.  She had come into his life during one of those *dark* times, and brought him back to the living.  When he felt comfortable enough with her to tell of the loss of his wife and children, Isabelle had kissed away his tears, and held him in her arms all night.  She was a beautiful, caring, passionate woman, always giving of herself; never expecting anything in return.  She was a gift from God, and everyday he was grateful for having her in his life.

He was about to turn around, to explain to her why he had to go, when he felt Isabelle putting her arms around him.  "Luka, come back to bed," she whispered in his ear. He reached for her hand, lightly kissing it, then held it close to his beating heart.  She ran her free hand across his chest, down to his stomach.  Isabelle was just about to touch him between his legs, when he grabbed her hand to stop her.

She struggled to get one of her hands free as she started kissing his shoulder.  "Isabelle, please.  I have to go," he protested.  She moved to his neck, continuing her kisses.  When she reached his ear, Isabelle started sucking on his earlobe.  Then she started rubbing her breasts against his back.  "I'm doomed," he sighed, releasing her hand, letting her touch him. He moaned softly, turning around to put his arms around her.  Slowly, Luka guided her back down on to the bed, while she continued to caress him.  "Good Lord, you are relentless,"  he said smiling.  "I believe you're trying to kill me."

"Well, at least you'll die with a smile on your face," Isabelle giggled as she brought her mouth up to meet his.  He surrendered, not caring if he made it to the hospital or not.

**********

Isabelle could not sleep.  She had worked until closing, something she rarely did since meeting Luka.  He had left her around 1:30, in order to get home to shower and change before going to the hospital.  Thinking of their night together made her smile.  He was incredible.  How lucky she was to have him.  After all the shit life had thrown her, convinced she would never find happiness with a man again; Luka Kovac came into her life.  Kind, patient, caring Luka.  Unbelievable good looking, a great kisser and amazing in bed.  And he loved her.  HE LOVED HER.  She would have to tell him that she knew what he whispered last night.  That she understood a little of the language from his homeland; very little.  He has told me all about his past, now it's only right he knows about mine, she thought as she sat up.  Not that she had anything to hide; there were some things she was just not very proud of.  Isabelle had been reluctant to say anything to him until she knew for sure where they were headed.  Now was the right time.

She reached under the bed and pulled out an old shoebox.  When she took the top off, the contents revealed pictures of her parents on their wedding day, along with pictures of her as a baby with her mother.  There was only one picture with her father, taken just before he had left for Croatia.  Underneath, was the handful of letter he had sent her.  The last correspondence she received from him before he died. As Isabelle took the letters from the box; a picture fell from one of the envelopes.  Nice looking family, she thought as she picked it up.  The children were adorable, a girl about 4 and a boy, maybe 2.  The woman was beautiful, the man very handsome.  She looked at the man more closely; recognizing him immediately.

"Luka," she said aloud, quickly tearing the envelope to retrieve the letter. Unfolding it, she began to read:

My Dear Beloved Daughter:

This will be the last letter you will receive from me until this bloody war
is over.  It's become extremely dangerous to try to get any correspondence
out.  I am safe for now, but I don't know for how much longer.  I dream of
the day I will see you again.  I am sorry for all that has happened between
us.  Please forgive me, but I had to come home.  I needed to be here, to help
the people of my country.  

I have been taking care of a young man who was shot while going for much
needed water.  It has been a very long healing process, since medical
supplies are scarce.  Before this tragedy started, we met at the hospital.  
He had just graduated from medical school and was assigned to me to begin his
training in the emergency room.  He had a wife and two small children that he
loved more than life itself.  They are now with God, watching over him and
keeping him safe.  I have been comforting him, helping him deal with this
great loss.  Trying to persuade him to keep his faith in God has been very
difficult.  Some days I think it helps.  Other days are not so good.  But
only time will heal his wounded heart.

I have sent you a photograph of him and his family, taken months before this
all began.  You can see that life before this war was a happy one.  When this
is all over, I will bring Luka home to you.  I have not told him this, but I
feel he will agree as he tells me there is nothing left for him here.  I know
you will take care of him and perhaps someday even love him.  He needs the
love of a good woman.

You are in my heart and in my prayers.  Know that I love you very much and we
will be together soon.

Your loving Papa



Isabelle wiped away the tears.  She searched her memory and could not for the life of her recall ever reading this letter or seeing this picture.  She reached for the picture of her father.  "I love you too, Papa," she whispered, as she held him close to her heart.

**********

Luka was surprised to see Isabelle sitting at the top of the stairs as he entered his apartment building.  After the sixteen hours of hell he just endured, she was a sight for sore eyes.

"Hey you," she said smiling as she stood to greet him.  Luka returned the smile, very happy to see her.  Giving her a quick peck on the cheek, he asked what she was doing there.  Isabelle reached for his hand, pulling him in the direction of his apartment.  "C'mon, I'll fix you breakfast."

"I'm not really hungry.  I ate something about an hour ago."  Luka had a devilish grin on his face.  "I was hoping you had something else in mind."  He opened the door, allowing her to go in ahead of him.

"You are a wicked man."

"Wicked is good, eh?" he asked as he shut the door behind them.  He scooped her up in his arms, kissing her tenderly.  "Besides, we have unfinished business," he pointed in the direction of the bedroom.

Isabelle giggled.  "Oh Lord, I've created a monster. There will be time for that later.  I'm fixing you something to eat.  Don't tell me you ate at the hospital.  I know better."

"All right, if you insist.  I'll go shower and change while you whip something up."  He kissed her again, then playfully smacked her backside, sending her off in the direction of the kitchen.  Luka stood watching her for a moment, smiling from ear to ear, then headed for the shower.  


  to Finale

Back to table of contents

Back to Passion Place